The game is afoot! The hounds are unleashed! The coffee is percolating!
The planning has begun for Hammond’s 130th Birthday. The notes from Monday’s meeting are below. Please jump in with ideas, suggestions, and offers to volunteer!
When / Where
- Hammond Community Centre
- August 10 or 17 (depending on when the Park’s and Rec department does their annual shut-down)
- Re-imagine Hammond
- What’s Your Hammond Story? (the favourite)
- What’s Your Hammond Connection?
Displays set up in the community centre:
- Hammond Heritage
- Hammond Hometown Heroes: (Larry Walker, Norm Grohman, other famous Hammondites)
- …other groups?
These were the ideas we came up with during our brain-storming session. They’re just ideas – some will get dropped, and we’d love to add other ideas. We’ll also be talking to our Student Representatives to get their ideas.
- Movies in the Park
- Family Dance
- Parks & Leisure activities (like at the party last summer)
- Participaction (the federal program)
- Free / sponsored swim
- Talent show
- Parade (decorated bikes, etc)
- Historical walking tour (maybe also garden tour? house interior tours?)
- Katzie cultural presentation
- Face painting / balloon animals
- Hammond Mill tour
- Kid’s corner with lots of toy trains
- Living history displays: videos showing living history interviews with Hammond Residents
- Community-painted “wish-list” facades on plywood in commercial area of Hammond
- Car show / shine, teenager car show / shine
- Trunk sale
- Basketball / ball hockey
- Watergun fight
- Painting blocks for the pool fence
- Live music
- We are approaching the Katzie people with hopes that they will participate
- The Historical Society and Heritage Commission will work with us on historical displays, info, etc
- Pathfinders: the local Hammond troupe has volunteered to help
These are ideas. We have to approach these groups to see if they are interested.
- Kiwanis / Rotary concession
- Katzie salmon BBQ
- Watermelon eating contest
- We have applied for a $300 Festival grant from the municipality
- We have some fundraising ideas: pub night, 50/50 draws at the Maple Ridge Flames hockey games
- We will talk to local businesses and ask for sponsorship
- We may be able to partner with the Historical Society (so that we can provide charitable donation receipts to sponsors)
- We have to put together some paperwork for sponsors before we can approach them